The Field Hockey Canada (FHC) office have already begun taking precautionary measures to do their part in protecting the health of their players against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
According to the World Health Organization, people can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus, spreading from person-to-person through small droplets from the nose or mouth spreading when a person coughs or exhales.
Speaking about FHC’s evolving coronavirus strategy, an official from FHC said;
“Our priority is always the safety of our players, staff, fans — everyone associated with hockey in Canada,”
“We’re working very closely with the various health authorities as well as the government in Canada to make sure that we put the necessary preventative measures in place to the full extent.” said the official.
In Canada, B.C. has the second-most confirmed cases of COVID-19 (39, including one death). Ontario has the most with 41. Then there are 19 in Alberta and none so far in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
The FHC also sent out a media release today detailing some measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
That includes advising players and club personnel to maintain good hygiene practices, such as regular and thorough washing of hands with soap and water, or cleansing with alcohol-based sanitizers.
Players have also been told to minimize direct contact with, teammates, officials. That includes handshakes, high-fives, sharing of towels and water bottles.
Multiple hockey-based sporting events have been closed to the public or cancelled/postponed in recent days as coronavirus continues to spread.
This includes the postponing of the 2020 Indoor Hockey Pan American Cups, which had been slated to take place this month in Lancaster, PA.
The FIH Pro League 2020 Germany vs Belgium matches too, will be played behind closed doors on March 19 without spectators, following a health advice from the German government.