Freshman Payton Anderson scored her fifth goal and the season and junior Caroline Kelly made eight saves but the Boston University field hockey team dropped a 2-1 home contest to Bucknell in overtime on Saturday afternoon at New Balance Field.
The Bison took a 1-0 lead into halftime thanks to a second-quarter goal before Anderson scored an equalizer in the 48th minute. BU threatened to score again later in the fourth quarter and in the beginning of overtime but Bucknell’s Lily Neilson tallied the winner at the 61:09 mark.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bucknell came out firing and quickly earned three corners in the fourth minute of play.
- The Terrier defense withstood the early pressure and then successfully defended three other Bison corners in the first quarter to enter the second quarter unscathed.
- The Bison would get on the board in the 22nd minute, however, as Gugulethu Sibanda dribbled along the right endline and got the ball to the goalmouth, where Maddie Rehak put it in for the game’s first goal.
- Outside of a pair of Bucknell corners, one that required a save by Kelly, the third quarter was relatively uneventful and the Bison took a 1-0 lead into the fourth.
- BU owned the fourth quarter, getting an equalizer and establishing control of the contest in the late stages of regulation.
- An entry ball from senior Casey Thompson found graduate student Miya Denison, who quickly redirected the ball to the left side, where Anderson angled a shot that got inside the far post and knotted the game at the 47:02 mark.
- In overtime, the Terriers earned two quick corners but could not muster a winner.
- On the decisive tally Rachel Apa got past the BU defense and slid the ball through the circle to Neilson, who gathered it after it was tipped by a BU stick and sent a reverse-stick shot to the boards.
- Bucknell held a slim 13-11 shot advantage and earned eight corners with six occurring in the first 13 minutes of play.
- BU had four corners on the day with two coming in the opening moments of overtime.
- Clara McCormick recorded six saves in goal for the Bison.
- With this result, the past nine BU-Bucknell matchups have been decided by a single goal with four of them requiring overtime.