Dragflick Newsdesk : Three players could make their senior international debuts this weekend when England’s men take on Argentina in the FIH Hockey Pro League.
Tim Nurse and Tom Russell have been called up to the men’s squad. James Mazarelo is also selected once again, having been in the team that travelled to Spain earlier this month.
In the men’s team, GB Elite Development Programme (EDP) athletes Nurse and Russell have been named in a senior international team for the first time while Jack Turner could play his first games for England since 2017, having recently been confirmed in GB’s training squads for 2022.
Liam Sanford could make his 50th England appearance this weekend if he features in both matches while Brendan Creed, James Gall and Sam Ward all return having not been able to play in England’s games against Spain a fortnight ago.
Several players were unable for selection for both squads due to club commitments, injury and illness.
England’s men played their maiden fixtures against Spain earlier this month, winning the first game 6-1 before a last-minute goal from David Goodfield saw them emerge as 3-2 victors from the second.
Interim men’s head coach Zak Jones said:
“The squad is very much looking forward to upcoming games here in Argentina. The aim is to continue to build on both the momentum and the positive aspects of our performances from our first two outings against Spain.
“However, we are fully aware of the real challenge that Argentina will present, as can be seen from their recent performances in the Pan Am Cup and their two FIH Hockey Pro League games against Belgium. I am really looking forward to seeing how this young squad respond to a different environment and style of play as we continue to build and grow our game.”
England’s men will take on Argentina at 19:30 on Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 February. All games will be shown live on BT Sport while live updates will be provided on the England Hockey Match Centres.
England Men’s Hockey Squad :
- James Albery – Old Georgians HC
- Nick Bandurak – Holcombe HC
- David Condon – Wimbledon HC
- Brendan Creed – Royal Beerschot HC (Belgium)
- James Gall – Surbiton HC
- David Goodfield – Surbiton HC
- James Mazarelo (GK) – Loughborough Students HC
- Tim Nurse – Surbiton HC
- Nick Park – Surbiton HC
- Ollie Payne (GK) – Holcombe HC
- Stuart Rushmere – Loughborough Students HC
- Tom Russell – Holcombe HC
- Liam Sanford – Old Georgians HC
- Duncan Scott – Wimbledon HC
- Peter Scott – Wimbledon HC
- Rhys Smith – Wimbledon HC
- Tom Sorsby – Surbiton HC
- Sam Taylor – University of Exeter HC
- Jack Turner – Wimbledon HC
- Sam Ward – Old Georgians HC