Position Description & Responsibilities
The head field hockey coach is responsible for providing leadership and supervision for all aspects of a NCAA Division I field hockey program by recruiting academically qualified prospective student-athletes, developing and implementing effective training session, practices and game strategies, educating and coaching student-athletes, and supporting student-athletes in their personal, academic and athletic development at Merrimack College.
This full-time position, reporting to an assigned sports administrator, is responsible for oversight of the field hockey program in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference (NEC) and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
- Oversee all aspects of the field hockey program, demonstrating effective communication and planning, strong organizational and administrative skills, sound decision-making and visionary leadership.
- Responsible for the recruitment of quality student-athletes to meet specified enrollment goals, which includes evaluating talent, visiting/communicating with prospective student-athletes and parents/guardians, planning on-campus visits and completing the appropriate forms and communicating with the athletic compliance office, as needed.
- Determine athletic scholarship allocation for prospective student-athletes, working within requirements set and communicated by athletic administration.
- Organize, plan and conduct effective and efficient team practices and individual skill instruction sessions with demonstrated ability to teach and instruct the sport.
- Secure non-conference contests and build a competitive schedule; communicate schedule with assigned sports administrator in advance for approval.
- Responsible for preparing individual student-athletes and the team for competition; use video/technology to teach, improve and develop players as well as to scout opponents.
- Demonstrate sound fiscal responsibility in the management of the department-approved budget for the program.
- Responsible for reaching annual fundraising goals either through philanthropic or other revenue generation, as determined by administration.
- Engage with alumni and friends to build a community of support for the program.
- Participate in the development of the whole student-athlete — athletically, academically and personally, regarding individual well-being and life skills.
- Help monitor and ensure the academic progress of student-athletes.
- Represent the program with the highest level of professionalism, sportsmanship and integrity.
- Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to NCAA rules compliance.
- Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as well as trust and mutual respect.
- Supervise assistant coach and volunteer assistant coach and develop an effective and cohesive coaching team.
- Participate in departmental activities including staff meetings, compliance education, diversity, equity and inclusion training, guest speakers and other events/meetings.
- Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility related to the program as assigned by the sports administrator and/or Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated success as a player with appropriate knowledge of the sport and experience teaching and developing skills and ability.
- Commitment to supporting the academic success and overall well-being of student-athletes.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines.
- NCAA collegiate playing and/or coaching experience preferred.