The Providence College field hockey team will host a pair of matches this weekend at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. On Friday, Oct. 15, the Friars will face BIG EAST foe and 18th-ranked Old Dominion at 2:00 p.m. Providence closes the weekend with cross-city rival Brown on Sunday, Oct. 17 at 1:00 p.m.
SCOUTING PROVIDENCE (5-8, 1-3 BIG EAST):
• Providence is in the midst of a four-game home stand, which will be complete following this weekend’s matches against Old Dominion and Brown.
• The Friars enter the weekend with a 5-8 overall record, including a 1-3 mark in the BIG EAST.
• Providence is 5-2 at home this season on Lennon Family Field. The Friars have suffered one-goal losses in each of their last two games at Lennon against VCU (1-0) on Oct. 3 and Temple (1-0) on Oct. 8.
• Providence has been shutout in each of its last four games.
• Niamh Gowing and Lisa McNamara lead the Friars in scoring with 11 points each. Gowing has tallied four goals and three assists, while McNamara has added two goals and seven assists.
• Olivia Ward is tied for the team lead in goals (four) and ranks third on the team in points (eight).
• Eight different players have scored at least one goal this season, including seven players who have multiple goals on the year.
• Asia Porter has played 719 minutes in goal and owns a 2.17 goals against average and a 0.745 save percentage.
• Porter ranks eighth in the nation in saves per game (6.33)
SCOUTING #18 OLD DOMINION (9-3, 3-1 BIG EAST):
• Old Dominion enters the weekend ranked No. 18 in the nation with a 9-3 overall record (3-1 BIG EAST).
• In the Monarchs’ most recent game on Oct. 10, they fell to No. 22 Duke, 5-1, snapping a five-game win streak heading into that match.
• ODU’s lone loss in BIG EAST play came against then-No. 16 UConn, 2-0, on Sept. 17. Since then, the Monarchs have won three-straight BIG EAST games against Quinnipiac (7-0), Villanova (3-2, OT) and Georgetown (2-0).
• Marlon de Bruijne leads Old Dominion in scoring with 24 points on 10 goals and four assists.
• De Bruijne ranks ninth in the nation in goals per game (1.00) and eighth in points per game (2.40).
• Delphine Le Jeune is second among her teammates in scoring with 14 points on five goals and four assists.
• Illse Westera and Frederiq Zandbergen are tied for third with nine points each (3g/3a).
• Goalkeeper Cam MacGillivray has played 723:34 minutes in the cage and owns a 1.74 goals against average and a 0.687 save percentage. Three of her nine victories have been shutouts.
SCOUTING BROWN (6-6, 2-1 IVY LEAGUE):
• Brown enters the weekend with a 6-6 overall record and will face Penn in Ivy League action on Oct. 16 before making the short trip to Lennon Family Field.
• The Bears fell to Lafayette in their most recent game on Oct. 10 (2-1, OT), despite holding the advantage in shots (13-9) and penalty corners (8-3).
• Four of the Bears’ six victories have been shutouts.
• Five of Brown’s six losses have been decided by a single goal, including two games in overtime.
• Danielle van Rootselaar leads the team in scoring with 22 points on nine goals and four assists.
• Mikayla Walsh also has reached double digits in the scoring column with 10 points (3g/4a).
• Jodi Brine has played the majority of the minutes in goal this season (559). She owns a 1.29 goals against average and a 0.774 save percentage. Brine owns two of the Bears’ four shut-out victories.
• Providence will travel to Lynchburg, Va. to face BIG EAST foe Liberty for its final road game of the 2021 regular season schedule.
• The game will be broadcast live on ESPN+ and is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m.