ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises employees;
- evaluates staffing needs;
- assigns and reviews work;
- establishes timeframes for the completion of tasks;
- trains and orients new employees;
- approves and/or disapproves requests for leaves;
- interviews candidates for employment and recommends for hire;
- evaluates work performance;
- receives and responds to grievances;
- provides assistance with the development of unit work procedures and policies;
- recommends and provides staff development opportunities.
- Serves as compliance liaison to selected sports to oversee the issuance of scholarships, assists with eligibility review, and other sport-specific compliance items;
- be knowledgeable and current with all applicable NCAA, conference, and department rules and regulations; provides written updates and interpretations of current, new and proposed NCAA and conference rules and regulations;
- researches and responds to inquiries regarding rules and compliance interpretations.
Provides information and/or prepares reports for documentation submitted to the NCAA and conferences including, but not limited to: waivers, NCAA violations, appeals, Revenue Distribution report, Sport Sponsorship and Demographic report, Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act report, and APR/graduation rate reports.
Participates in continuous training and development including attending the NCAA Regional Rules Seminar and conference compliance meetings. Assists with periodic NCAA compliance/rules education meetings with student-athletes; regularly develops and conducts NCAA rules education for all segments associated with the athletics department, including but not limited to: prospective and current student-athletes, coaches, divisions of athletic staff as well as all institutional personnel who assist with complying with NCAA rules and all other University personnel and boosters.
Assesses and identifies the challenges of student-athletes as it relates to first generation college students, socioeconomic and diverse backgrounds, and transitioning to college environment. Organizes, aligns, and activates campus and off campus resources to meet those challenges.
Responsible for developing, overseeing, managing, and executing all Student-Athlete Development programs such as career programs, educational/NIL programming, networking events, guest speakers/consultants, etiquette, FLIGHT freshmen student-athlete course, Life After Sports course, and more.
Serves as student-athlete advisory committee advisor and conducts regular meetings. Collaborates with all sectors of the University to assist with DEI efforts. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance, available to work weekends and evenings as needed. Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Complies with NCAA and institutional rules and regulations. Assists with home game-day operations as well as university events/functions. Travels as assigned and drive vans as directed.
Performs any and all other related duties as assigned or directed in order to promote, further, and ensure the effective and efficient operation of YSU.
At least a bachelor’s degree and two years of experience working at a Division I institution including graduate assistantship experience. Ability to independently apply and monitor NCAA rules related to: financial aid, academics, rules education, camps/clinics, recruiting, playing seasons, and familiarity working with NCAA Apps software.
Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and anticipate future needs; demonstrated effective oral, written, and electronic communication skills; high skill level with Microsoft Office Products; a valid driver’s license; ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
Master’s degree; experience with student-athlete development; collegiate coaching or playing experience. Expertise in Excel.